Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Watched one gaming video? Here's nothing but Minecraft for the rest of your life!

YouTube's related videos always seem to get worse and worse. Remember many years ago, when you'd actually get videos related to the stuff you were watching? If you watched a Pokémon video, you'd get Pokémon related videos (maybe even from a certain someone that had a thousand subs or so)? If you watched a Halo video, you'd get Halo related videos? Well, they're stretching the definition of "related" further and further. Zelda's a video game, Minecraft's a video game, so it's absolutely relevant! Oh, but wait, I'm not done. Turns out just about EVERYONE who watches video game stuff on YouTube gets the same five or six recommendations, and it's almost always fucking Minecraft. This "People try Minecraft for the first time" video in particular is something I think everyone here has come across many, many times in their recommendations. Yes, I know, YouTube's all about making as much dough as possible with as little effort as possible, but don't you think it'd be helpful if they went back to their old algorithm and actually gave us videos we MIGHT be interested in clicking on?

Which leads to my next point. YouTube's doing this because like it or not, the demand for Minecraft stuff is still overwhelming, to the point where any dumbass can start a channel dedicated to Minecraft and get popular, because the braindead masses just can't get enough goddamn fucking Minecraft. I could start making videos again tomorrow and make it all about Minecraft, and I'd probably get to 100k subs within a month. Think about it for a second. Think about how YouTube is oversaturated with Minecraft stuff, to the point where a hundred lifetimes wouldn't be enough to cover even a tiny fraction of that content. WELL THAT'S STILL NOT ENOUGH. The world STILL needs more Minecraft! What the hell, people? Minecraft, by all means, is one of those things that can be a nice little distraction for a while, but is expected to die off like any other fad. Well it's not dying, not even close! It's been around for five years, and there's still a frenzy around it like it was just released! What kind of appeal does this game have that requires absolutely constant attention for FIVE YEARS, and it doesn't even stop? What the hell? Even Slender died off at some point, and Five Nights at Freddy's will be lucky to be remembered by the end of the year (despite being a much better game than Slender, but that's neither here nor there)!

So as a result, the demand and offer as far as Minecraft goes is so far above and beyond every other game ever made COMBINED that, well, no wonder YouTube thinks Minecraft is the only game worth shilling! I wonder if non-gamers who never watched a gaming video in their lives also get Minecraft stuff in their so-called "related" videos? I wouldn't even be surprised, considering how game footage is the best known aspect of YouTube by far compared to everything else they offer.

18 comments:

  1. You can only imagine how annoying it is for someone who was absolutely sick of Minecraft even when it was fairly new. I am going to get a bunch of hate for saying that but I don't care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you expect to get hate here? Nah, we're intelligent people. No offense to Minecraft players, but I never quite got into it.
      Also, for some reason I'm quite unaffected by the phenomenon, as YouTube always recommends me older videos from my subscribed channels. I've already seen most of them, but at least I don't have to deal with Minecraft.

      Delete
  2. The only Minecraft videos I EVER watch are those from Achievement Hunters. Not because they're good or anything. More like they're so bad, they become surprisingly entertaining. And even with a 1 per week dose, I still would NEVER wish for more. Heck, I even skipped their previous week one because... Hyrule Warriors happened. Surprisingly though, I only get Minecraft recommendations when I'm watching their videos. I seem to be in the same boat as Anthony just higher up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Similar to how I (at one point) felt about the GameGrumps.

      Delete
    2. Which reminds me, since you mentioned AH, some people such as them are sick to death of Minecraft, but they basically have no choice but to continue doing it because there's just that much demand. And that's really fucked up.

      Of course RoosterTeeth is an actual company, so their obligations towards their viewer base are completely different from freelance LPers, but it's still a sad state nonetheless.

      Delete
    3. I know, and it's a shame really (Poor Ray X_x). What I particularly like about them is how they interact with each other... which is something we could get in any game. But their fanbase don't seem to realize this. When they have to resort to recreating a freaking MONOPOLY game inside Minecraft to have a steady flow of content released... it's really bad. (At least that one was saved solely by Ryan's terrifyingly sore throat, which made it hilarious whenever he opened his mouth.)
      Since I'm used to an extremely crappy fanbase because of Roosterteeth, I guess I could give people like Chuggaconroy a try. I was always intimidated by huge fanbases in the past because they are so aggressive... but I know how to deal with them now at least.
      (Psychological barrier activate !)

      Delete
  3. I used to enjoy the game, but several changes for the worse (never use a crappy server-side emulation for SINGLE PLAYER) and the general "downfall of humanity" community have had my interest waning for a couple of years now. I stopped playing the game months ago, and I don't miss it terribly.

    That said, I would actually like to see you do a Minecraft LP, get partnered (probably by Machinima) and attract the masses like flies to vinegar. Just be sure to hide the blogger link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, I wouldn't enjoy it, but it'd be an interesting point to prove.

      Delete
    2. That would've been a great April Fools thing to do, now that I think about it. Make the most bland, generic Minecraft videos possible, and watch as they somehow become the most popular things on the channel.

      Delete
    3. Darn it, since you posted it as a comment here, now we can be sure it'll never happen. x)

      Delete
  4. The only videos I used to watch were these ones with 3 or 4 guys doing multiplayer but that was about it, and I burned out of the game after playing on my home server with friends for a whole month

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally like Minecraft and a few Minecraft video series. But 99% of the videos are complete garbage and of the rest 99% aren't worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This seems generally accurate in regards to a lot of series.

      Delete
  6. And people will burn out on these vids and LPing will die an even faster death....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I don't understand is the fun behind watching Minecraft videos. I can understand that it has a entertaining factor playing it yourself since you basically built things yourself just as you did with Lego earlier. But why watch hundreds of parts of hundreds of channels? Here in Germany it's horrible besides me every more or less famous lper has lped Minecraft. Gronkh (who got more subs than Chuggaa) made over 1000 (!) parts of Minecraft and had several 100K views for every one and then there are still those other big lpers who make 200-300 parts and get subs and views out their ass. What the hell? And as a fun fact: I then let's play let's say Pokémon White for 150 parts and when I reach the postgame views break down and the subscribers tell me the game became boring and is lacking in variety. So I ask why the hell they watch 1000 Minecraft parts with basically the same stuff happening all the time and the answer I get: "the maps always change a bit." So you mean an adventure always going more towards it's goal and having new maps until the end is lacking in variety compared to a map containing grass, caves and water that just changes slightly every time? I mean come on it would basically mean that I play Kanto from Pewter City to Mount Moon all the time and just change the map a bit every time. Don't understand in honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's weird, I actually watch Minecraft videos on occasion, and I have yet to have a Minecraft video in my related section.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was hearing a radio broadcast about how Minecraft is being used in the educational field to teach children critical thinking through physical representation of buildin...well...things.. It's not super directly related to YT's related videos section, but perhaps the fact that Minecraft is breaching mainstream media and possibly even practical use is helping it generate even more buzz alongside it's stupidly overwhelming popularity on YT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the games to teach children,Minecraft seems...Questionable.Personally,I'd say Sim City is better but hey,that's not bringing in the brainless kiddies as much as Minecraft now is it?Not to mention all the other games to use instead (Hell,Pokémon made me better at math and sparked my interest in animal biology).

      Delete