Thursday, October 10, 2013

Well, my job here is done.

With Serebii starting to compile everything, most of the interesting stuff being already known, and so on, I don't think there's any point in me keeping up these updates. Between Serebii's front page, his discovery thread, and Smogon's data collection thread, you'll probably find every new development you want to hear about, so there's no point in me trying to aggregate stuff from all over the place anymore.

Besides, I've come to a decision: I'm getting Y at launch. I know I've said before that I would wait a little while, but I never expected stuff to start leaking no less than 11 days early, nor did I expect that so much would be known by launch day. I mean, I have a pretty dang good idea what team I'll be using, and I even have a few failsafes in case it doesn't work out. So I'll be busy playing most of the time I won't be sleeping, eating or at work. (Also, perfect timing for Canadian Thanksgiving!)

Edit: I'm going to say one last thing, though. It's weird how the next issue of CoroCoro will reveal how to get Garchomp's Mega Stone, as if it's so occult that they expect none of the millions of players to find it in a full month before then. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Edit 2: CAN I JUST SHUT UP NOW? Geez. Anyway, just to bring some closure on that whole saga, the 95-power special moves were nerfed to 90, which explains the nerf to their 120-power counterparts. Needed? Not particularly, but still, the metagame was a bit too skewed towards offense for my liking. Also, Gamefreak got really creative with Low Sweep, by increasing its power from 60 to 65... which is a HUGE nerf, considering the only thing that used it regularly (Breloom) has Technician. No one will make me believe that they're not keeping tabs on the metagame now. All we need is definite confirmation on Stealth Rock, and we're set.

26 comments:

  1. At least be sure to comment on anything major you really like/hate (makes for a good break from the game and gets you back in the land of the living...we will all need it come Saturday)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Care to share what your team might be? Yveltal seems to be an obvious pick, and I imagine you're going to ditch your starter for Venusaur?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going Venusaur, either Blaziken or Lucario depending on the former's stats, Lapras, Gengar, Mienshao and Yveltal.

      Delete
    2. Why, did they increase max team size?

      Delete
    3. Who's going to be your mega evolution Pokemon, or are you going to switch off? You have three potentials on your team.

      Delete
    4. I'm just going to megavolve one per battle, and if I need to call on another one, these guys still can hold their own without megavolving, so no worries. It's far more efficient than just having them hold crap items.

      Delete
    5. The max pokemon you can use is how many you can hold in your boxes, plus six outside the boxes. That's the way it's always been.

      Delete
  3. Will you use the Kalos Starters? I think that they are 100X better than the Unova Starters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like to hear your opinions as well. Serebii reports the details without offering opinions as to how those details will affect things, and I trust your analysis far more than anyone else's. I wasn't expecting you to post after you get the game, though, so I guess you might as well stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so happy when I realized I had Monday off

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, one of the biggest changes.

    Thunderbolt is now 90 Power, not 95. As is Flamethrower, Surf & Ice Beam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bah, five power isn't so much, especially considering these were some of the best moves in the game anyway. This also explains the nerf to their 120-power counterparts.

      Delete
  7. Another pokemon getting a Mega Evolution that needed it: Medicham

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWQbB65CAAAjkiD.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO HAPPY at this development. I thought for a while that was all of them.

      Delete
    2. And it's ability didn't change. For a long time I've been hoping they'd make a special-attack boosting version of pure power and give medicham both of the abilities. Nothing wrong with giving it a buff this time around. Maybe it will have a usable special attack stat along side with pure power, like they did for absol.

      Delete
    3. Man, mega medicham's stats look like the stats of an average, fully evolved pokemon. But it keeps huge power, doubling it's 100 attack, and a 100 speed stat, so I think they knew what they were doing.

      Delete
  8. Next week is going to suck for me. X and Y come out tomorrow, but I don't have my 3DS with me in college and I don't go home for another week. Waiting sucks! D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brain fart. Meant day after tomorrow. Though a lot of people already have copies now, so what the heck... Point is, the end of finals week can't come fast enough >_>

      Delete
    2. Only thing that would keep me from going to my local Wal-Mart to pick up my copy of Y and get my own free Shiny Giratina is if I had a marching band competition that day. I do not, so I know what I am doing on Saturday...
      Seriously, though. Sorry that you will not get to play the game as soon as you would want...

      Delete
  9. Never underestimate the power of fans with resources and pleasant coincidences. As Sonic said, "No copyright law in the universe is going to stop me!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all your work in giving us info, Slowflake. I have a running bet with my friend that exactly 1 year from this game's release he thinks there won't be any original gen 6 pokes in OU, while I'm certain at least 3 will be. Any thoughts on the future of the game so far?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Pokegods have listened to the plebians: Flareon apparently now learns Flare Blitz (Found image but it's a japanese version of game, via Reddit). Now everyone can finally have their flare blitz Flareon and find out one and for all that--yes, indeed--Flareon still sucks because 60HP and 60D (or 65, whatever) with 60Speed on a fire type is instant fail.

    http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/1o85t9/look_what_flareon_can_learn/

    Since we know of the move nerfs, I wonder if other moves got nerfed. Overheat and its variants I'd think are tops on the chopping block.

    ReplyDelete