Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The butthurt over Pokémon Bank is amazing.

It's not like most of them are complaining about the fact that backwards compatibility used to be free (arguable if you only had one DS), either. It's all about the fact that they're imagining Nintendo is going to turn into EA overnight and start charging for event Pokémon and other stuff like that, just because they're charging for Bank. What the hell? They charged for Box, they charged for Ranch, and were they complaining back then? Of course not, judging by how much they're acting like big babies they were still in the womb.

Let's see here... Box came out in Japan in May 2003. That's ten years ago. If Nintendo was going to go down a slippery slope of nickel-and-diming, they would've done so long ago. As it stands all they're doing is relying too much on Mario to fill their coffers when their backs are against the wall.

As I said in my LP video, having to pay for the ability to transfer Pokémon kinda sucks, but they did say a while ago that they tried different avenues, to no avail. I guess what you make out of that depends on how much you trust the company, but I myself am inclined to believe they did a valiant effort, but the technology gap just wouldn't allow it. Am I the only one who finds the fact that a DS has an easier time communicating with a GBA than a 3DS amusing, if only because cosmetically and functionally it's closer to the 3DS than the GBA? Never discount that under-the-hood stuff, I suppose.

Anyway, my personal impression is that the trial period is mostly meant for those people who just want to transfer everything from their gen 5 games to gen 6 and be done with it, so that at least they won't have to pay anything. I think if Nintendo really wanted our money that badly, we wouldn't even get a trial period. I mean, why else would you need a trial period? It's not even like this is a game that you might want to try before buying it. You know exactly what you get going in. It's just storage, Pokémon transfer, and that's it.

I swear, the internet is the cancer of gaming, moreso than the companies themselves.

10 comments:

  1. While I'm not entirely sold on the cloud part of the bank(why not be able to store it on an SD card and have the cloud optional for those that want it) but I am happy I can do it in the first place and at a cheap price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because allowing for client-side storage could compromise the game's integrity. It seems like they're really intent on cracking down on Pokémon hacking this time around, so that may be why. I'm not an expert however, so don't quote me on that.

      Delete
  2. I don't have much to say about it except that I entirely agree with you. Seriously...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the GBA and DS didn't have to do with any special differences in encryption and probably used similar architecture. Nintendo probably could have done it using two 3DS systems no problem but figured most would only have a 3DS with their old DS on the side, thus the issue. I thought they'd have just had an app which could store a limited number of 'mons temporarily till you transfer them, but that could result in said integrity issues. Either way I suppose all things considered it's a good solution. At least you CAN transfer them. Anyway the $5 a year is chump change (price of a single issue of a bullshit magazine), I'd personally charge it and forget about it except if I get a new CC. What I like about it is the ability to not worry about which game you're using (esp. since it is supposed to carry beyond Gen VI), so no obsolescence like previous methods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just find it funny that people are getting angry when it's such an INSIGNIFICANT fee! It works out at £3 a year. £3. That's less than a cup of coffee. That's less than a bloody magazine.

    Hell; I could decide to walk to uni and back one day and I'd have saved the money for a YEAR'S WORTH OF CONTENT. Not only that, a year's worth of content that is going to be transferrable to future games - making backwards compatibility never an issue again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As little as $5 is (tell that to the American economy), I am part of the more sensible group that will just use the demo time to transfer my Forces of Darkness to Y. I mean, only three boxes and maybe some other assorted stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My only concern would be what if you did not pay the fee one year? Would all your Pokemon just be deleted?

    Example: Say there comes a time when you are tired of Pokemon and you stop playing. Then like two generations later you want to get back into playing Pokemon and remembered you had Pokemon in the bank, but you have not payed the fee since those two generations ago. Would they be deleted in that time or saved but just inaccessible until you payed the fee again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Logically, it'd be the latter. I'm not sure what happens in subscription-based games like WoW, but I assume you're just locked out of what you have.

      Delete
  7. Five bucks a year and people go nuts. For Arceus's sake, you idiots, I have barely any income and I can still easily pay that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. People aren't yet used to Ninty getting into DLC and Onlinee Storage. Thats what I think

    ReplyDelete